I made an easy dish this weekend and prepped it in the morning so I didn’t have to scramble after drinking some vino at the local park. We ended up having this curry with some rice, though some tomato on the side as a salad would have been a perfect addition.
This is the recipe from a favourite chef in Australia Peter Kuruvita and his wonderful series My Sri Lanka which screened on SBS not long ago.
Cashew Nut Curry
|Cashew Nut Curry – ready to serve|
2 tbsp Ghee
1 large onion finely chopped
1 spring of curry leaves (from my little plant)
1/2 tsp roasted cumin seeds (ground in a coffee grinder)
1/2 tsp turmeric
1 tsp chilli powder
1 cinnamon stick
1 can coconut cream (unshaken – so you can reserve the cream from the top for finishing)
pinch roasted curry powder
1. Soak the cashew nuts in a small bowl of water for 1 hour. Drain and set aside.
2. Heat the ghee in a skillet over high heat. Once hot, add the onion, curry leaves, chilli and stir.
3. Add the drained cashew nuts and stir to combine.
4. Add the coconut milk minus the thick cream on the top of the tin and boil until the sauce has thickened and reduced.
5. Stir in a small amount of coconut cream and remove from the heat. Season to taste.
6. Pour into a bowl to serve and top with a little extra coconut cream and roasted curry powder.