As last weeks recipe was a bit of a fail I figured something easy would be a good choice this week. So I made Coconut Roti and Egg Curry. I was going to add a coconut sambal to the plate though the time did not allow it. The fun thing with make Rotis is that it is a kitchen job where the kids can get involved and help out with the moulding and flattening, just like play dough!
|Delicious Egg Curry and Coconut Roti
(Makes about 24)
2 cups all purpose flour
1 cup desiccated coconut
1 onion sliced
1 sprig of curry leaves sliced
Salt to taste (about ½ tspn)
Water (about 1 cup)
Canola oil for frying
1. Slice onion and curry leaves.
2. In a large bowl mix onion, curry leaves, flour, desiccated coconut, salt and water.
3. Mix all the ingredients together to make a dough that can be formed into balls.
4. On a floured surface place balls and flatten.
5. Heat up a heavy based skillet and fry in oil until brown on both sides.
6. Drain oil on a paper towel and serve the Roti with your favourite curry or sambal.
|Egg Curry simmering away
2 tbsp coconut oil (melted)
2 tsp black mustard seeds
sprig of curry leaves
1 red onion – thinly sliced
1 small knob of ginger – finely grated
4 cloves garlic – crushed
1 tsp roasted cumin
1 tsp roasted coriander
2 tsp tomato paste
1 cup coconut milk
salt to taste
1. Boil eggs until they are hard boiled (10 minutes) then put in cold water and peel. Set aside.
2. In a heavy based skillet over medium heat – add the coconut oil and the mustard seeds. As soon as the seeds pop, add the curry leaves and onions and saute until translucent. Then add the ginger and garlic.
3. Stir and then add the spices and tomato paste. Continue to fry for about 2 minutes and pour in the coconut milk.
4. Turn down the heat to simmer and add the eggs – Simmer the curry until the sauces thickens.
5. Season to taste and enjoy with the Roti or your favourite rice.